Varsity Squash Team to Oppose Weak McGill Today at Montreal

A strong varsity squash team opens defense of its Eastern and Ivy League Squash Championships today in Montreal when it opposes a realatively weak McGill squad. McGill, although often strong at the top, is handicapped by a lack of depth and is not expected to give the Crimson much of a struggle.

Intercollegiate champion Ben Heckscher will be in the number one position for the third straight year. He won handily in the varsity's 1955 win over McGill and should win again today. In the second position, Cal Place will be occupying that spot for the second year and likewise should repeat his win of last winter.

Charlie Hamm, captain of last year's freshman team, will play his first varsity match at third singles, followed by Charlie MacVeagh and Larry Sears at fourth and fifth singles.

These five are expected to carry the brunt of the Crimson attack this year, and since four of them are returning lettermen, MacVeagh, Place and Heckscher being the top three on last year's team, Coach Jack Barnaby feels that the team has an excellent chance of repeating last year's championship performance.