Drama Clubs Discuss Joint Group; HDC Announces Training Program

HDC Leader Says That Plan Would Not Aid In Solving Basic Problems of Theatricals

The various dramatic clubs at the College are now considering a radical proposal which would bring them together in a representative council that would have financial and scheduling control over all dramatic productions here.

This is the first attempt to bring numerous dramatic groups together at one discussion table. The plan, however, still allows for the autonomy of each club.

Burton A. Schwalb '57 first proposed his plan at the Student Council meeting Monday. At that time, however, the Council tabled the measure until its next meeting.

Under his plan, the clubs would sit down at a "giant bargaining table" to establish non-competitive production schedules, and to pool capital and technical resources such as scenery and properties.

Schwalb said his plan would reduce the production costs of all productions by centralizing purchasing and eliminating competitive advertising.

Last night, however, it seemed as if Schwalb's program might not meet with the complete approval of the various groups. In fact, Robert L. Loud '56, president of the Adams House Music Society, said it would serve his group no worthwhile purpose. "There has always been a need in productions for more information on dates," Loud said, "but Dean Watson's office has this information. The Schwalb plan would run into too many complications in the long run. The House Committee has always been generous in giving funds to the Music Society."

Further Opposition

John H. Poppy '57, president of the H.D.C., said the proposal "contained many good ideas," but in his opinion "did not essentially have any definite methods for the improvement of production quality, or concern the problem of a University theatre."

Most of the other dramatic groups have not had time to discuss the plan among their members, but it is expected that a general meeting for all the organizations will be held in the next few days.