Tigers Maul Basketball Team 93-46

Princeton Hits 72% First Half Average

PRINCETON, N.J., Feb. 15--Princeton's hungry Tigers, with first place within their reach, handed a helpless Harvard quintet one of its most humiliating defeats in history, slaughtering the Crimson, 93 to 46, tonight.

With the knowledge that front-running Columbia is now without its scoring ace, Chet Forte, the Tigers could not be held back, as they hit on an unbelievable 72 per cent of their shots from the floor in the first half. They led at that point, 43 to 28.

By winning tonight, Princeton moved to within a full game of Columbia, while the lowly Crimson received its sixth straight defeat.

Coach Cappy Cappon could not use his outstanding captain, John DeVoe, but the injured DeVoe was not needed tonight. Don Davidson led the scorers and the Tigers with his 25 points on nine field goals and seven foul shots. Dave Fulcomer controlled both backboards with 23 rebounds and 18 points.

For Coach Floyd Wilson's Crimson, nothing could be done to stop the Tigers. It used a zone defense, switched to a man-to-man, and back to a zone, all in vain. Princeton, after its amazing first half, settled down to a 59 per cent shooting average for the game.

With one and a half minutes gone in the second half, the Tigers led 48 to 32, and four minutes later, the score was 64 to 32. HARVARD  Goals  Fouls  Points Lubetkin, f  4  2  10 Barnett, f  2  2  6 Lowenfels, f  2  2  6 Canty, c  2  3  7 Haughey, c  2  3  7 Bowman, c  0  0  0 Hurley, g  2  0  4 Kantrowitz, g  1  0  2 Riggs, g  1  0  2 Hastings, g  1  0  2