Wilson Considers Plan to Diminish Time in Service

Secretary of Defense Charles E. Wilson announced yesterday that he was seriously considering a new plan which would cut the two-year service period of some draftees to 18 months, and would probably double the present draft call.

Those choosing the new plan would contract to participate in 48 weekly drills per year in Ready Reserve units for a period of two and a half years.

If the proposed shortening is adopted, it will apply only to those who will volunteer for two and a half years in active reserve training.

Stop-Gap Plan

The object of the new plan is to recruit 100,000 young men for the Ready Reserves by or before June, 1957, at which time the program will be discontinued. Slashing the service period, Wilson hopes, would induce young men to join the Ready Reserve units.

The proposed program is in part an attempt to correct a weakness in the present reserve system. Under the existing plan, draftees are required to remain in reserve status for a period of six years, following two years' service. However, under this law there is no provision for weekly drill participation. As a result, those participating are merely names in paper units.

Mr. Wilson strongly affirmed that the proposed plan reflected no change in the attitude of military leaders, who maintain that a service period of less than two years is neither efficient nor economical.