Faculty Says Ike's 'Yes' Damaging to Democrats

Nixon Most Probable Republican Nominee As Vice-President

By James W. Singer iii

A majority of professors contacted yesterday definitely agreed that Democratic chances of winning the coming election declined as a result of President Eisenhower's announcement that he intends to seek a second term.

While Vice-President Nixon was the man most mentioned as the President's probable running mate--a choice which would be calculated to avoid dangerous dissension--many stated that Eisenhower could name his own Vice-Presidential candidate with almost no Republican opposition.

Most professors also agreed that Eisenhower's statement makes the Democratic nomination less desirable, but that it does not increase the chances of any one particular candidate.

Robert G. McCloskey, associate professor of Goverment, said that it would be "fatuously optimistic" to say that the Democratic chances were not hurt by the President's statement. He also added that the Republicans would "probably not unload Nixon because that would tend to split the party." McCloskey felt that the Democrats now had "outside chances" of winning the race.

Samuel P. Huntington, associate professor of Government, stated that the President's decision would make a "close contest out of the election." Huntington also felt that Stevenson's campaign would now become more dynamic and more directed against Eisenhower personally.

H. Bradford Westerfield, instructor in Government, also said that the question of the President's health would figure prominently in the race. He stated that Eisenhower's chances depended upon "how seriously the electorate takes the question of his health," adding that the Democrats still have a chance of winning.