Freshman Charges HSMR With Violating Constitution

May Affect Other Clubs

A freshman Student Council representative, also a member of the Society for Minority Rights, charging the HSMR with violating its own constitution, brought a petition before the Council yesterday which could have far-reaching effects on other College groups.

He said that his peition, while aimed specifically at the HSMR, was also directed against those students who join clubs but fail to attend meetings.

George P. Leyland '59 said the Society had committed nine violations of its constitution and of "general practice." His main criticism stemmed from the fact that the HSMR's recent election meeting was held without a proper quorum.

Although this petition directly affects only the HSMR, it pointed up a situation under which many other clubs operate--that is, business meetings are often held without quorums. Thus, any irate members of the group could ask the Council to throw out the business approved at such a meeting--elections for example--if a quorum was lacking.

Last night, Council President Edward M. Abramson '57, in an effort to mediate the petition before it reaches the Council meeting Monday, effected a partial agreement between Leyland, James N. Perlstein '57, present president of the HSMR, and R. Allen Williams '57, past president of the HSMR.

The three agreed that the club should hold another election in which a full quorum would be present. Eighteen of the club's members constitute a quorum. Perlstein and Williams, in the event he should be elected to office, agreed to "follow the constitution" in future actions of the club.

However, Perlstein specifically denied five of the nine charges levied against the HSMR. These charges were mostly of a technical nature, involving such matters as having a copy of the constitution in the organization's office; and informing the full membership of a meeting.

Abramson last night said that he believed the matter was settled "out of Council," although there was a disagreement between Leyland and Perlstein over the specific charges in the petition.