Union Committee Group to Analyze Outside Activities

Von Stade Prompts Study Of Freshman Participation

A special group to study the drop in freshman participation in extra-curricular activities was set up by the Union committee at its meeting this week.

The special committee will compile statistics on the number of freshmen in the various activities now as compared to the last few years. It will also solicit explanation for the decline from the heads of student organizations. The Union Committee will consider any proposals made by the group, and will make recommendations to Dean von Stade.

Dean von Stade prompted the investigation in a meeting with Mark M. Earle, Jr. '59, Chairman of the Union Committee, last week, when he had questioned Earle whether he knew if freshman participation in activities had declined or not.

The report will be forwarded to the admissions office "because it is always interested in new developments which could influence requirements for entrance," Earle said yesterday. The report might cause more extensive investigation into an applicant's record of activities, he added.

The Committee consists of Fred M. Sander '59, athletics; Alfred K. Bakhash '59, publications; William I. Cowin '59, drama and choral groups; Alfred S. Arkley '59 to consider general organizations such as the political clubs and PBH, and Anthony J. Medaglia '59, to study miscellaneous organizations.