Crimson Downed, 86-71, by Green Quintet

Encounter Yale Tonight

By Adam Clymer

The backboards were Dartmouth property last night, for the hustle in Cambridge won't make two six-four players the equal of one at six-eight. Clearing 61 rebounds to the losers' 40, the Green whipped the Crimson, 86 to 71, at the Blockhouse last night.

Jim Francis was the big man all the way for the Indians. Four inches taller than either Ike Canty or Warren Kantrowitz, the Crimson's big men, Francis tallied 21 points and controlled the boards in the first half.

The Crimson stayed in the game for the first thirteen minutes, leading most of that time. But then, trailing 28 to 26, the league-leading Indians went on the warpath, scored twelve consecutive points, and won easily.

The Crimson put up a strong fight, but they were opposing the best team in the Ivy League. They managed to stop Ron Judson, the visitors' high scorer, and held him to only two field goals. More than in any previous home game the team worked the ball to get the good shot, and this care was reflected in a 38 per cent field goal accuracy.

But Francis and guard Gene Booth were too good. Booth, a fast dribbler, repeatedly faked out the Crimson defenders as he twisted his way to five field goals in the first half. Francis tallied four field goals and added seven free throws, and the winners led at the half, 52 to 37.

The second half was discouraging for the home team, and not especially good basketball. Several times the margin was narrowed to eleven points, but then an easy lay-up would be missed and the Indians would open up the lead again. The fifteen-point margin at the end is a deceptive figure, for the winner did not extend themselves and used substitutes liberally.

Dartmouth amply demonstrated why it is leading the Ivy League with eight wins and three defeats. The team rebounded, sometimes having all five men battling off the boards; it sank 40 per cent of its field goal attempts and 83 per cent of its free throws. It appears that nothing will stop the Indians.

The varsity, still seeking its third Ivy League win of the season, meets Yale tonight at the I.A.B. John Lee of the Elis is expected to pace the scorers in the contest beginning at 8:30 p.m. Lee, a sophomore, holds the Yale season scoring record and needs 43 points in three games to break the Ivy record.