Crimson Nine Defeats Army, 4-0, For Second Consecutive Shutout

Rossano Effective

By Adam Clymer

In the top of the eighth inning Army coach Joe Palone talked the plate umpire into reversing himself on a call. the Ken Rossano pitch, originally called a strike, went into the books as a ball, and the Cadets recorded their most significant achievement all Saturday afternoon. Otherwise, Rossano had them handcuffed, permitting four hits in winning, 4 to 0.

The senior right hander had his curve ball working well as he struck out five and walked one, and lowered his season ERA to 1.29.

The varsity made its seven hits count and capitalized on bases on balls to win its E.I.B.L. opener. Two runs came across in the home half of the second when Dick Fisher lined a single to left and advanced to second on Matt Botsford's sacrifice. Bob Hastings beat out an infield hit to shortstop and went to second when cadet Bill Cody kicked the ball into left. Being Crosby then brought Fisher home and Hasting to third on a sacrifice fly, and Rossano scored Hastings with a single to center.

Walt Stahura broke out of 0-for-11 slump with a run-scoring single in the fourth and added another on a liner through the box in the sixth. Bob Hastings, who reached base on passes, scored each time.

With one away in the visitors' eighth and a man on first, Palone convinced the umpire he had erred on a call to Bill Shepard of the Black Knights. But Rossano got out of that hole by spearing a grounder on the next pitch and throwing to Hastings at second, who relayed on to John Simourian for an inning-ending double play.