Crimson Ruggers Defeated By California's Bears, 18-6

On Western Trip . . .

BERKELEY, Calif., April 21--Ex-New Zealand International Noel Bowden proved the difference today as the Crimson ruggers went down to California's Golden Bears, 18 to 6. Bowden scored 12 points for Cal, as Jim Joslin kicked the whole Crimson score.

The match the local papers called "The Pride of the East versus the Best of the West" drew over 6,000 fans to the 82,000 capacity Berkeley Memorial Stadium. Outside of the San Francisco Press, the Bears, with a 10-1-1 record, were rated solid favorites to beat the snow-clogged Crimson.

Cal kicked off in 75 degree sunshine, and stayed in the Crimson half for 22 minutes before scoring in the corner, Bowden converting. (5 to 0). The Crimson immediately came back with a forward rush which ended when the Bears were penalized for offside, Joslin putting over a 26 yard place kick. (5 to 3).

Two minutes later, Bowden, who kicked a 59 yarder last Saturday, booted one from 45 yards. (8 to 3). The Bears scored another try in the 32nd minute, to make it 13-3 at the half.

The second half was more closely contested, with Crimson wing Ron Eikenberry always looking dangerous in attack, and forwards John Chalsty and Charlie Eaton outstanding in defense. Cal increased its lead to 18 to 3, however, before Joslin kicked his second goal with six minutes left in the game.

The game was played under California rules, which differ in several minor points from the International Code.