Varsity Rugby Team Tops Princeton, 11-0, Ends Losing Streak

The Crimson ruggers ended a three-game losing streak Saturday, as they whipped Princeton, 11 to 0, before a Smith College Fathers' Day crowd of 500. The Tigers had beaten the Crimson 3 to 0 and 5 to 0 in the last two meetings between the teams.

Jim Joslin's kicking again produced most of the Crimson's score, as his two penalty kicks and conversion registered eight points. Terry Turner scored the game's only try, when he crossed from several yards out after a loose maul just in front of the Tiger line.

The silver cloud had a grey lining, however, as Harvard must find a new scrum-half to replace South African surgeon Charles Levin, whose dislocated cartilege will keep him out for the rest of the season.

Although there was a paucity of goal posts (the referee had to estimate whether kicks passed high enough over two spectators pretending to be uprights) and a plethora of lines (the field was marked for football) the Crimson team played good rugby.

A determined Princeton beginning faded into a half-hearted Tiger finish, as virtually the whole game was played in Tiger territory.