Nine Wins Three of Four in South

Quantico Only Team To Defeat Crimson On Spring Jaunt

Eight home runs in four games brought the Crimson a highly successful spring trip as the team won three out of four games, winning all its contests against college nines.

In the trip's opener against the Quantico Marines last Monday, pitching faltered as Quantico exploded for four runs in the first and ten more in the seventh to win going away, 18 to 4. But the team hit well in losing, combing Ronnie Perry, the former Holy Cross ace, now Yankee property, for ten hits.

Captain Ken Rossano and Bob Kessler pitched the next day as the Crimson topped the University of Richmond, 7 to 4. The varsity rallied from 2-0 and 4-2 deficits and won with the aid of two home runs by John Simourian and one by Bob Cleary.

Against Hampden-Sydney the next day, the varsity almost blew a 9-0 lead but hung on to win, 14 to 12. Dom Repetto held the home team scoreless for five innings, but Bob McGinnis, Matt Bottsford, and Rossano, who followed him to the mound, had more difficulty. Finally, the team's hitting attack which featured two home runs by Fisher, one round-tripper by Bing Crosby, and Stu Lavine's four hits, was enough to provide the Crimson with its second win this year.

Botsford hit a two-run homer the next day, Thursday, to pace the attack which defeated Virginia, 6 to 3. Ned Felton started and McGinnis finished up on the hill for the Crimson.

Two Games Cancelled

The nine had been scheduled to oppose Catholic University on Friday and Delaware on Saturday, but both games were cancelled by rain.

Coach Norm Shepard was impressed by the team's showing, particularly its hitting attack. He also found the pitching better than he had expected this early in the season, but would not say that he had settled on a definite staff as yet.

His infield seems firmly anchored by Simourian at first and Lavine at third, but while he used Cleary at shortstop and Hastings at second frequently, he said that Tom Bergantino, unable to play in the South, was still in the running for either post.

Shepard's outfield will be drawn from the foursome of Botsford, Fisher, John Getch and Walt Stahura, while Crosby and Phil Haughey are in the lead for the catching position.