Benefactors' Gifts Reach $3,000,000 In First Quarter

Student Aid Funds Total Over $300,000

The University received over three million dollars in gifts during the first quarter of 1956. $1,395,592.84 was given in gifts adding to endowment and $1,675,038.77 in gifts for current use. More than $300,000 of endowment was earmarked for aid to students in Scholarships, fellowships, and loans.

Benefactors established 14 new funds during January, February, and March of 1956: Of these, nine will provide financial aid to undergraduates.

The largest single contributor to student aid was Edmund Kerper '11, who established two funds in honor of George B. and Louise Kerper, each with an endowment of $51,600.

The William Cowper Boyden III Scholarship and the William Stanley North III Scholarship, set up in memory of two College students killed while driving home for Christmas vacation, has a combined endowment of over $25,000.

A $5,000 grant for "needy students who do not quite make scholarship grade" was one of three bequests contributed by the Robert and Arnold Hoffman Foundation, Inc., of Boston.

The largest capital gift, for use other than scholarships, was $140,300.11 from the estate of Lovering Hill '10.