Crimson Varsity Topples Williams Tennis Team, 8-1

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

The varsity tennis team sent its hopes for the Eastern Inter-collegiate League Championship soaring yesterday as it crushed a strong Williams squad, 8 to 1. Williams had previously bowed to Princeton, 6 to 3, and, although one cannot place too much faith in comparative scores, this is definitely a favorable indication.

Princeton and Yale are considered the chief contenders for the Eastern Championships, but Princeton has already defeated Yale this year, leaving Yale presently in third place and Princeton and Harvard tied for first.

Against Williams the varsity ran into difficulty in most of the matches, but managed to put out with a large over all margin. The only Crimson loss came at first singles where Dale Junta, playing badly in the strong cross winds, was upset by Wally Jensen, 6-4, 7-5.

Harris, Gravem Win

At second and third singles, Brooks Harris and Ham Gravem went into long three-set matches. Harris pulled his out 8-6, 4-6, 6-1, and Graven pulled out two last minute service brakes to take his final set, 8-6. The bottom three singles all went to Harvard in two quick sets, as Ben Heckscher, Steve Gottlieb, and Connie Fisher picked up the victories.

In the doubles, all the matches went into three long sets. Harris and Junta downed Jensen and Karl Hirshman, 7-5, 7-9, 10-8. At second doubles, Heckscher and Cal Place lost the first set, 6 to 3, but came back to win the next two, 7-5, 6-3. In the third doubles, Gravem and Fischer won, 3-6, 6-4, 8-6.

Tomorrow, the draw will be held for the New England Intercollegiates which will be played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This event will bring Yale to Cambridge and should prove an interesting preliminary to the Harvard-Yale contest this Monday in New Haven.