German Reunification, Neutrality And Rearmament Seen Unlikely

Kohn, Spiro, Weyer Agree

Three forum speakers substantially agreed last night that the prospects for German reunification, German rearmament, and German neutrality are equally unlikely unless world conditions change drastically.

During a discussion in Burr A, Herbert J. Spiro '50, instructor in Government, said that reunification is unlikely for two main reasons. He felt that it is impossible unless the Russians want it to occur, which seems improbable at the present time.

"The West Germans are prosperous, happy and fat," Spiro said. "It is very easy for them not to worry overly about the East Germans, for they would have to make many sacrifices in bringing the East Germans up to their own living standard."

Hans Kohn, visiting professor of history from CCNY, agreed with Spiro that the Russians are not apt to give in on German reunification. He noted especially the fact that Russia would have to consider the feelings of the Poles and the Czechs, both of whom fear a reunited-Germany.

On rearmament, Spiro felt that the need for a 500,000 man German army is much less acute now than it had seemed in 1950. Kohn agreed, and pointed out, in conjunction with Theodor Weyer, exchange student from the Free University of Berlin, that the German economy might not take to large-scale rearmament, since it is prospering under the present set-up.

Weyer felt that neutrality is unlikely because of German's geographical position in Europe and because Germany is an active, rising nation in World affairs.