Glee Club Sings

The Music Box

By Bert Baldwin

The Harvard Yard is not acoustically perfect, especially on a windy night. The deep resonance, which so distinguishes a good men's chorus, was caught up and diffused by the breeze Tuesday when the Glee Club gave its first spring concert on the steps of Widener. When the rich lower sonorities had blow away, what was left was often a bit scraggly.

Two pieces by Mozart--"Laut Verkunde" and "Die Maurerfreude"--were not performed in an outstanding manner; clarity and precision were lacking. The motet, "Non vos relinquam," by Byrd, should probably have to tempi, although the remarkable voice registrations, involving a very high tenor, were brought out well when the wind obliged. Even the Maelstrom, however, could not have drowned out the rhythmic and almost percussive phrases of the Preger "Sanctus," a work of dubious musical worth, and even less liturgical relevance. Completing the serious part of the program were Dvorak's charming "Maiden in the Wood," and Milhaud's "Psalm 121," a rather nondescript work sung in a nondescript manner. A humorous song, "Casey Jones," provided the transition to a rousing series of Harvardiana, in which all participated. The Freshman Glee Club sings next Tuesday. We should pray for a windless Harvard Yard.