University Police Begin Tagging Illegal Parking

Administration Action Not Connected With Recent Criticisms

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

University Police have been virtually "ordered" by the Administration to begin an intensive crackdown on all student parking violators, it was learned yesterday.

In a brief one paragraph statement, Edward Reynolds '15, the Administrative Vice President, said he had instructed the University police "to make a survey and to report to me every day the number of students violating the University's regulations about student automobiles, which include all pertinent City and State requirements."

The University has come under attack recently by the Cambridge City Council for its failure to provide adequate parking facilities, but Reynolds last night said his order was not prompted by the recent criticism, but was reached independently by the Administration.

As a result of Reynolds' order, the police were due to begin ticketing all violators either last night or tonight. The directive is aimed mainly at overnight parkers who violate the City rules by leaving their cars on the streets all night.

In the past, University police have ticketed only on request of the Cambridge police, but the new order has transferred the initiative for the ticketing to the University.

When a student registers his car with the University he must agree to "obey all City and State parking regulations," leaving himself open to both Cambridge and University ticketing. In practice, however, students whose cars show the proper sticker receive only the more expensive University tickets for overnight violations.