Athletic Body May Reelevate Boxing May 7

UAC Will Consider New Members Also

The Undergraduate Athletic Council may re-elevate boxing to an intercollegiate level in a special meeting Monday night, it was learned last night. The group, meeting primarily to elect new members, will probably discuss the issue and may reach a vote.

Boxing was considered a major sport for eight brief years, but was demoted to its present impotent status in 1938. Should the measure be accepted, it would be referred to the Faculty Committee on Athletics for almost automatic approval.

The Student Committee to Promote Boxing instituted the present drive to reestablish the sport with a petition in February. The Student Council then approved the move in March and submitted a 45-name petition to the faculty committee, where it was passed down to the undergraduate council.

The UAC, composed of varsity managers and captains, has discussed the issue in its last two meetings, and is expected to reach a vote at least by the end of the year. If elevated, the Crimson would have only Syracuse for competition, but four other Eastern colleges have indicated that they would probably follow suit.

Boxing coach Henry Lamar, mentor here since 1931 and also Massachusetts State Boxing Commissioner, has not taken an active role in the drive, but favors the move without qualification.

"Now that the drive has received some support and attention," he added, "boxing is almost certain to be elevated soon."