Council Scheme Gets unexpected Support By Union Committee

The Student Council picked up unexpectedly strong support from the Freshman Union Committee for its scheme to finance the expiring German Exchange Scholarship Program through the sale of bargain-basement baseball tickets.

Plan originator Carl Sloane '58 appeared before the Committee Tuesday night requesting unofficial backing, since, he said, the functions of the Union Committee were too far separated from the Council to seek official participation.

But the freshmen brushed aside Sloane's view and voted "unanimous and mandatory" participation in the Yard canvass scheduled for Monday night. "If we're going to touch this we might as well do it all the way," declared a spokesman for complete support.

Minor Opposition

Minor opposition flared around the suggestion that the Committee had not investigated the Scholarship Program and thus should not endorse it. It was also felt that the canvass might require too much of the Committee member's time during reading period. Other Committeemen successfully attacked both points.

The financial scheme involves peddling $1.90 reserved grandstand seats to the May 10 Red Sox-White Sox game at Fenway Park for $1.25. The Council will bank 75 cents on each ticket.

The tickets are to be provided by the Red Sox at cost, according to Sloane. The 50 cent minimum covers federal tax, a gate cut for the visitors and league fee.