Lacrosse Squad Defeats M.I.T., 10-5

Scores First Win In Eleven Starts

By Jerome A. Chadwick

The Crimson finally flashed in triumph, as the varsity lacrosse team revolted just enough yesterday to take its first match in ten tries, 10 to 5, from M.I.T. on the Busy School rectangle.

The Crimson attack never looked better, and the defense, although not facing the most powerful team in the East, held the Enemy to his lowest score all year.

Captain Dexter Lewis led the varsity with four goals and two assists, while Deke Smith and Johnny Lane tallied twice each. Sophomore Dick Mackinnon looked good in the crease, letting in only three markers for three periods. Tech scored twice late in the final stanza and the lanky goalie hastily reentered to finish the contest.

Lewis opened the scoring with an unassisted goal four minutes into the match, and Deke Smith took a pass from Don Dawidoff eight minutes later to make the count 2-0 at the period.

Lewis passed to Lane early in the second quarter for a tally, and Jim Shaw scored from Dawidoff at 12 minutes. Holmes fed to Smith two and a half-minutes later and the Crimson led 5 to 0 at the half.

Mackinnon's shutout disappeared early in the second half, however, as Frey scored (from Briggs) for M.I.T. Lewis countered on a play from Dawidoff, before Gerakaris flipped to Hamlet for Tech's second goal. Lane and Lewis each scored again before Beale made it 8 to 3 as the period closed.

Lewis and Dawidoff each contributed for the Crimson in the final quarter.

Harvard scoring--

Lewis 4, Smith 2, Lane 2, Dawidoff, Shaw.

M.I.T. scoring-- Frey 2, Hamlet, Beale, Benenson.

National Baseball

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Cincinnati 10, Brooklyn 6

New York 6, Chicago 5

St. Louis 10, Pittsburgh 9 (in 11 innings)

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Boston 2, Kansas City 0

Detroit 8, New York 1

Chicago at Baltimore, rain

Cleveland at Washington, rain