Nine Favored to Beat Dartmouth Today

Repetto Will Oppose Green's Van Riper

By James W. B. benkard

The varsity nine travels to Dartmouth today in search of an answer to a question. Has it finally broken out of a month-long batting slump, or were the 14 hits against M.I.T. on Monday no more than an expected splurge against weak pitching?

Dick Van Riper, the Green's top hurler, should provide the answer. A strong right hander, Van Riper pitched one of the Ivy League's best games of the year when he lost to a strong Yale team 1 to 0 in the ninth. Left-hander Dom Repetto, who has beaten Northeastern, Tufts, and Brown this year, will start for the Crimson.

"Sure we hit well against M.I.T.," Coach Norm Shepard of the varsity nine commented, "but there's a big difference between Eastern League and GBL pitching."

Dartmouth's strong points are Van Riper, a good infield, and its leading hitter, Captain George Becker, the shortstop. Poor hitting and erratic outfielding were responsible for Green losses to Cornell and Holy Cross, the latter a team that the varsity beat 3 to 0 earlier in the season.

The Crimson's hitting attack will be notably bolstered by the return of left fielder Dick Fisher, the team's leading hitter, who has been out of action by a leg injury. However, Bob Hastings, who has been the mainstay of the infield and the team's leading RBI man, may not be able to see action. If Hastings does not play, Tom Bergantino will start at short and Matt Botsford will be the third baseman.