Chorus Plans T.V. Concert, Other Events

Professor Harold C. Schmidt, director of the Harvard Summer School Chorus has announced the concert plans for the 130-voice mixed chorus.

Dr. Schmidt has made arrangements for televising the first appearance of a small group chosen from the chorus. The group's TV appearance last year brought requests for a repeat telecast. Station WGBH-TV will televise these vocalists on July 30. An additional concert with full-chorus and accompanist has been planned for the Monday evening of August 13, in Sanders Theatre. Dr. Putney Aldrich will join the group in this concert with his harpsichord.

According to chorus-director Schmidt, the newly organized group of 25 singers will be an innovation of the Harvard chorus. This group will sing English and French chansons.

A partial list of selected works indicates that composers for the two performances have been chosen from a list of contemporary and Baroque musicians. Handel's Acis and Galata; Williams' Flos Campi; and Monteverdi's Tirsi and Clorinda A Ballo Concertante represent the larger works for the chorus.

A roster of additional composers, largely American contemporaries, include: Aaron Copland, Irving Fine, Kirke Mechem, and Ernst Bacon.

Accompanist for the Harvard Summer School Chorus are Pauline Davis and Gaston Allaire.