Divinity Dept. Will Consider Mental Health

Freud and Jung will soon be joining St. Augustine and Luther as prominent figures in the curriculum of the Harvard Divinity School. Under the terms of a grant announced yesterday, the National Institute of Mental Health is awarding $425,893 to Harvard, Loyola University of Chicago, and Yeshiva University of New York to develop a mental health curriculum for theological students.

Harvard will get $148,127 of the money. It will be used over the next five years to enable theological students to understand better the emotional problems of the people to whom they will be ministering.

Although plans for the program here are as yet vague, it is expected that the Divinity School will be offering regular courses in mental health by next February. These courses may or may not be open to students in Harvard College. In addition, the School will soon be appointing faculty members to teach the courses and direct other aspects of the program.

Rev. Miller Heads Program

The Rev. Samuel H. Miller, Lecturer on Pastoral Theology and Minister at the Old Cambridge Baptist Church, will head the mental health program at Harvard. Among the theologians, ministers, psychiatrists and others who are expected to help supervise the project are the Rev. Paul J. Tillich, University Professor and world-renowned theologian; Dr. Dana L. Farnsworth, Director of the University's health services; Gordon W. Allport, professor of Psychology; and the Rev. George A. Buttrick, Memorial Hall preacher.

The purpose of the grants, according to the Rev. Miller, is to enable Harvard, Loyala, and the Yeshiva--as theological schools representing three important faiths--to develop a body of standard material for teaching mental health to theological students.