Seminar Draws Delegates From Some 40 Nations

The Harvard International Seminar will play host this summer as in past years to outstanding representatives from Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. The members are selected through careful screening, work in many different fields, and are mostly on the brink of assuming positions of real leadership in their countries. Approximately 40 of them will be here.

The Seminar program will have three parts. The academic portion will revolve about group meetings, led by professors and specially qualified outside experts, on various topics in politics, economics, and the humanities.

Boston Tours

The second part will comprise tours in and around Greater Boston, during which members will visit businesses, factories, housing projects, prisons, museums, and even baseball games.

Finally, the members will acquaint Americans with aspects of their own countries through a series of Thursday evening forums in Lamont Library. These sessions will be open to the public, and will be followed by a question period and a punch party for informal discussion and conversation.

Members of the Seminar will also participate, on August 8, in a forum entitled "The World Looks at America." This discussion, a part of the Harvard-M.I.T. "Series of Special Events in the Arts," will take place in Burr Lecture Hall.

The International Seminar is a privately supported program, organized under Professor William Y. Elliott, Director of the Summer School, and Henry A. Kissinger, Executive Director of the Seminar. The participants are selected by means of applications and personal interviews, and with the help of international selection boards. Most of them do not have sufficient time or opportunity to visit the States for a longer period of time, but are vitally interested in gaining a wider perspective through contacts with colleagues from Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and America.