Parked Autos Arouse Pique Of University

Harvard University yesterday was preparing to take action against Summer School students who have been parking their cars in increasing numbers on "off-bounds" University property north of the Yard.

The areas involved include the parking lots near the Law School, the Graduate Commons, and the Divinity School.

The cause of increased parking in these forbidden places is the rash of tickets that Cambridge police have been distributing recently to cars parked overnight on streets near the Square. In contrast with Harvard's winter sessions, when all students must register their cars with the University and are thus susceptible to University parking tags, the administration now has no way of knowing who owns the illegally-parked cars. Consequently, it could not enforce payment of any University tickets it distributed.

It appears probable that in future Summer School sessions Harvard will require that all students register their cars. But it is probably too late to initiate such a policy during the current season, as Cecil A. Roberts, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, admitted yesterday.

Roberts did indicate that some action against the violators will be taken within a week, however. This might involve stationing patrols on the areas of University property involved, or it might merely take the form of an appeal to students not to park there.

Asked whether the University might arrange with the Cambridge police for the latter to let up on their ticketing activity around the Square, Roberts said this might be possible. In the past, Harvard and Cambridge have had distinct difficulty in getting together on the parking problem, however.

Roberts explained that he is still studying the problem, since it was just recently that his Buildings and Grounds Department took over jurisdiction of such parking matters.