Adlai E. Stevenson III Asserts 'True' Adlai Shown in Campaign

Speaks on WHRB

By Adam Clymer

"The true Stevenson" is being displayed in this year's campaign, Adlai E. Stevenson III '52 3L stated last night. He said that his father, the Democratic Presidential nominee, prefers the personal type of campaign, which enables him to "get out and talk to people" in order to learn of their problems.

The younger Stevenson made the statement in a recorded interview over WHRB's 11:30 broadcast, "All the News."

He recalled that he had traveled extensively with his father in his 1948 campaign for the Governorship of Illinois, going "from county to county" and "from town to town." He felt that his father derived real pleasure from that sort of campaigning, saying "he loved it."

In 1952, he said, his father was drafted and had no opportunity to campaign on a personal basis. This year, however, he has used the personal approach both through a "long and arduous" primary campaign and since winning the nomination.

The law student described himself as "perplexed" by the varying types of criticism directed at his father. He said that some criticize the candidate for being an 'isolated, remote sort of figure," while others object to him for being a little too folksy, too human a human being."

It was this latter type of criticism with which he was especially concerned, and he protested that the candidate before the public was "not artificial at all; it's the true Stevenson."

He viewed his father as a "complex kind of person, susceptible to a lot of different interpretations," saying that he did not know "how many of his qualities the average voter can see."

Earlier this week, Stevenson advisers Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, professor of History, and John Kenneth Galbraith, professor of Economics, vigorously denied that there was any split in the candidate's camp over his approach to this campaign.