Yale Increases Its Charges by $200; High Costs Cited

Griswold Declares Measure Forced by Rising Expenses

Yale undergraduates will pay $200 more in college expenses next year, bringing total charges to $2000. The Yale Corporation announced the increase Monday in the face of rising expenses.

Tuition was raised from $1,000 to $1,100 a year and the charge for room, board and incidentals was increased by $100 to $900. Similar increases are expected at other Ivy League schools also faced with soaring costs.

Sharp rises in operating expenses necessitated the increase, which was made "with great reluctance," according to A. Whitney Griswold, president of the university. The step was taken only after all other means of obtaining the necessary revenue had been explored, he explained.

Covers Only Part of Cost

The present fee, Griswold reported, covers only little more than half the cost of educating each student. Last year, about $1250 per student had to be supplied from the alumni fund and endowments. Griswold said that even with the increase, students would only be paying part of the costs of their education.

Scholarship awards will be adjusted in proportion to the increase, Griswold noted. The hike in tuition is the third since the war. In 1949 tuition was raised from $450 to $600, in 1951 to $800, and in 1955 to $1,000.