Khrushchev Seeks Popular Front Based on Fear of Turkish War; Tito Recognizes USSR Puppet

By The ASSOCIATED Press

LONDON, Oct. 15--Soviet Russia gave its blessings tonight to the landing of Egyptian troops in Syria. And it sought to capitalize politically on world concern over the Middle East crisis.

Communist party boss Nikita Krushchev made a bid to enlist Western European Socialist parties into a popular front with the Communists, warning that they are in serious danger of being dragged into war.

U.S. Regrets Yugoslavia's Decision

BELGRADE, Yugoslavia, Oct. 15--Yugoslavia tonight formally recognized Communist East Germany, which the Western powers have sought to keep diplomatically isolated.

The United States expressed regret today at Yugoslavia's decision. The State Department disclosed that the U.S. government had objected in advance to President Tito's action.

The American failure to persuade Tito to stick with the Western nations which have no diplomatic contact with East Germany immediately raised some question about the future of U.S. aid for Yugoslavia. Although a Communist country, it is considered independent of Kremlin control.

Nixon for Military Strength

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 15--Vice President Nixon said tonight America's reaction to the Russian satellite should be to resolve that military strength takes priority over tax cuts.

The satellite launching may serve the cause of freedom, Nixon said, "if only we react strongly and intelligently to its implications."

Nixon said, "we could make a no greater mistake than to brush off this event as a scientific stunt of more significance to the man in the moon than to men on earth." This was Nixon's first public comment on the satellite.