University Considering Purchase Of Parking Lot Near Mass. Ave.

150 New Spaces Possible

The University is considering converting some property near Mass. Ave. into a parking lot, John W. Teele '27, Planning Coordinator, announced recently.

Located on Sacramento St., between Mass. Ave. and Oxford St., the lot would be most convenient to the graduate school area. It would have a capacity of 150 cars. Sites are being considered for a new undergraduate parking lot, but plans for this are extremely vague.

Parking is a major problem facing the Planning Office in its attempts to find locations for proposed buildings. To facilitate its work, the office has constructed a scale model of Cambridge, with all Harvard buildings in direct proportion to their actual size.

Scale Model

The scale model is currently on display in Lamont Library. Originally only a working model, it has become a prop for the Program for Harvard College. Teele stated that the Planning Office had "accelerated construction by about a year" in order that the model might be shown to alumni throughout the country.

A "new, fresh job of mapping" Cambridge has completed the preliminaries of physical expansion. Plans have been drawn for a new chemistry building, and a building to house International Legal Studies, which will be located next to Langdell Hall at the Law School.

Although construction plans have not yet been finished, work is going on in what Teele described as "phase one"--a rough outline--of development of the Holyoke-Mt. Auburn-Dunster-Mass. Ave. block. Administrative offices and a Health Center for both undergraduates and graduates are to be built in that area.

Cambridge Accelerator

Work is further along on the building for the Cambridge accelerator, Teele said. Although no foundation has yet been laid, ground has been broken. Teele emphasized the continuous, long-range method by which physical expansion goes on. The accelerator, he added, had been contemplated for some time, yet the work was just getting started. "We've dug a hole," he said.

The shortage of available land is the biggest obstacle that must be considered when planning a building. Teele asserted that it must be reasonably near the department which it is intended to serve, yet departments are usually in areas that have been well built up.