Former Congresswoman, Hungarian Speak at Commemoration of Revolt

"The people of the world must use the force of public opinion to make world leaders negotiate on a basis of peace," Helen Gahagan Douglas said last night in the Harvard Freedom Council's ceremonies commemorating the first anniversary of the Hungarian Revolution, "and we Americans must educate them to do this."

Mrs. Douglas, a former Broadway star and Democratic Congresswoman from California, spoke in New Lecture Hall about our foreign policy as it relates to current problems in Hungary.

Recent Russian scientific achievements, culminating in the firing of Sputnik, have strengthened the Soviet Union's position in regard to the satellite nations, and the uncommitted areas of the world, she said. Lack of knowledge and of understanding of our problems, inter-service rivalries, and a "McCarthyist" idea that the secrets of the A-bomb could be "locked up" has lost this race for America, she charged. She also criticized our emphasis on "lethal weapons."

Frank Gardonyi, Secretary-General of the Association of Hungarian Students in the United States, expressed thanks on their behalf for the help they have received. He awarded a citation to Charles H. Taylor '21, Master of Kirkland House, and Robert S. November '58 in thanks for the two scholarships for Hungarian students which Kirkland House raised last winter.

Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government and moderator of last night's ceremonies, commented on the relatively small number of refugees the U.S. has accepted. "Thirty-five thousand is not many," he said. "As a great power, we have hardly discharged our duties in standing for freedom."

The evening concluded with a showing of a film, smuggled out of Hungary, containing pictures of the demonstrations on Oct. 23, the subsequent fighting, and the Russian intervention.