Harrier Team To Run Today At Dartmouth

By John P. Demos

The varsity cross country team, though still not at full strength, should have little trouble adding Dartmouth to its growing list of defeated opponents in a 1 p.m. meet at Hanover this afternoon.

Pete Reider, who has been bothered throughout the season by a wide assortment of ailments, will once again be unable to run. His current complaint is a nagging chest cold which will necessitate a chest X-ray for the Crimson ace some time during the weekend.

Dyke Benjamin and Eddie Martin are also somewhat below par, but, in contrast to Reider, should be healthy enough to run. Benjamin is recovering from a severe case of poison ivy, and Martin is convalescing from the flu. Dave Norris, too, has had only one workout this week since being sidelined with a head cold.

These various maladies might well be cause for real consternation, if the calibre of the Crimson's opponent were better than it apparently is. But Dartmouth finished last in a triangular meet with Yale and Columbia earlier in the year, while the Crimson easily defeated the Lions last week, without the services of Reider, Benjamin and Martin.

Team Looking Ahead

Since it does not expect a tough race from Dartmouth, the varsity is frankly looking ahead to the meet with Yale and Princeton one week from today.

As Coach Bill McCurdy pointed out yesterday, it seems unlikely that the Crimson's front-line runners will be in top shape for the Big Three meet.

Much will therefore depend on Crimson depth--on at least one or two of the second-flight runners moving up into the top grouping. Today, McCurdy will watch closely runners like Willie Thompson, Wes Hildreth, and Jim Schlaeppi for possible advance signs of improvement of this sort.