The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Von Stade Suggests Smoker Substitutes

"The Union Committee must take the lead in providing for entertainment to replace the Freshman Smoker," according to Dean von Stade. He suggested a series of different activities, such as dances and outside speakers.

"The real problem with the Smoker," von Stade commented, "was the size of the freshman class." This led to crowding and to unpleasant mob incidents." After World War II, the Smoker was forced to move into Memorial Hall, the only College building large enough to contain the entire class at one time.

As examples of the programs the Union Committee can sponsor, von Stade cited a series of three talks by members of the University staff two years ago under the auspices of the Union Committee. Last year, the group also sponsored a dance after midyear examinations.

At the last smoker, in 1956, freshmen consumed 600 gallons of beer and nearly caused a riot in Memorial Hall. Under attack from the Union Committee, the Student Council, and the Administration, the Smoker was formally terminated that year.