Varsity Cross-Country Takes Twelfth in IC4A

By Adam Clymer, (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW YORK, Nov. 18--Pete Reider set a fast early pace, but fell back and finished nineteenth in this afternoon's IC4A cross country championships. Reider, who led the field at the half-mile mark with a fast 2:15 clocking, was passed at the first hill and never again contended for the lead. Still, his 25:26 time placed him first for the Crimson and third among Ivy League runners in the five-mile race.

The team crown went to Michigan State, with 86 points. The Spartans' second straight victory, and fifth in the past 10 years, retired the championship cup. Cornell, paced by Dave Eckel, who finished sixth, and Mike Midler, fourteenth, recorded 125 points for fourth place. Yale was the next Ivy finisher, with 336 points for eleventh place.

The Crimson captured twelfth, with 352. Dyke Benjamin, coming on stronger toward the finish was forty-third, but no one else finished in the top hundred. Willie Thompson was 103rd, Dave Donaldson 117th, Will Julian 118th, and EdMartin 138th in a field of 175.

Perhaps the most promising results of the day came in the freshman race, where Jed Fitzgerald finished third with a 15:03 clocking over the three miles. Captain Brandy Harrison came in thirty-sixth with an 18:23 time, but until he slipped and fell after a mile and a half, he had been third.

The varsity race was won by Michigan State's Crawford Kennedy in 24:14.8, as Olympic 1500-meter champion Ron Delany took second.