Crimson J.V. Football Squad Loses To Eli Eleven, 2-6, for Fifth Defeat

By John P. Demos, (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW HAVEN, Nov. 22--The Crimson junior varsity football team went down to its fifth defeat of the season today, at the hands of Yale and by a score of 12-0.

Play was often ragged, but always hard-fought, with both teams showing to much better advantage defensively than on the attack. The game was won along the line of scrimage, where the Yale forwards consistently outcharged their Crimson opponents.

Yale's first score came midway through the opening period, shortly after Scott Wakefield blocked a punt on the Crimson 11-yard line. Two thrusts over tackle produced the touchdown, with halfback Ralph Wicz covering the last five yards.

Yale dominated play throughout the remainder of the first half, but was unable to cross the goal line again. Harvard, meanwhile, was completely throttled on offense, gaining a total of only one yard by rushing and 18 by passing during the first two periods.

The teams fumbled the ball back and forth in the third period, until Yale could get another offensive drive organized. A 27-yard pass from quarterback Ed Klemm to left end Bill Ernst finally gave the Elis the second score that had barely eluded them on several previous occasions.

In the closing minutes of the game the Crimson finally managed to launch an effective attack. Spearheaded by the running and passing of quarterback Tony Marlow, they moved into Yale territory for the first time all afternoon and rolled up four consecutive first downs before time ran out.