Pusey Appoints Arts Committee

Members Consider Visual Arts Center

President Pusey has appointed seven men to the Standing Committee on the Practice of the Visual Arts, established by the Faculty at a meeting last May.

The Committee will be headed by Jose L. Sert, Dean of the Faculty of Design. Its members are Mirko Basaldella, Director of the design Workship; John B. Coolidge, Director of Fogg Museum; Wilbur K. Jordan, President of Radcliffe; Francis Keppel '38, Dean of the Faculty of Education; Norman T. Newton, Secretary of the Faculty of Design; I. A. Richards, University Professor, and Eduard F. Sekler, associate professor of Architecture.

The group held its first meeting last Wednesday to discuss proposals for the newly announced Visual Arts Center. Committee member Newton said that no decision has been reached on the location of the new building.

Newton reported that most of the plans for the Center are still in the discussion stage, with several ideas up for consideration.

The Visual Arts Center will include the Design Workshop for architectural students, studios for visiting artists, student workshops, and various other facilities.

A donation of $1.5 million by Mr. and Mrs. Alfred St. Vrain Carpenter of Medford, Ore., made the building possible. Their son, Harlow Carpenter '50 received his master's degree from the Graduate School of Design in 1956.