Yardlings Win 4th Straight, 20-7; Defeat Cheshire in Ankle-Deep Mud

The increasingly impressive Yardling football team trampled Cheshire Academy into the ankle-deep mud of Soldiers Field Saturday afternoon, taking their fourth straight win, 20 to 7.

So vastly superior were the Crimson freshmen that previously undefeated Cheshire was unable to register a first down until the fourth quarter, long after the Crimson starters had gone to the showers.

A Crimson victory was foreshadowed the first time the freshmen had the ball. They drove 40 yards in seven plays with Chuck Ravenal climaxing the march on a touchdown plunge from the one-yard line. Halfback Glenn Haughie added the point on an end run.

When the driving rains limited the effectiveness of the Crimson's passing attack, the hard-running Yardling backfield took up the slack in the offense. Moving well despite the slippery field the Yardling backs tallied twice in the second quarter. Fullback Steve Cohen plowed 30 yards for one score and Haughie ran 24 for another. Cohen converted the placement attempt after the third touchdown of the half.

In the fourth quarter the game Cheshire team scored their only touchdown of the game against the spotty defense of the Yardling third stringers.