University Plans To Shut Bindery

December '58 Set as Date For Terminating Operations

Failure to find enough sources of outside work has forced the University to terminate the operations of its bindery sometime before the end of 1958. The bindery, founded in 1928, repairs and reconditions all books of the University libraries and binds graduate theses.

No definite closing date was disclosed, but officials have been instructed to develop a termination policy. Suspension of bindery operations is the result of a University policy to restrict "non-academic operations as much as possible," a recent letter to bindery employees stated. The need of the bindery site for the future development of the University and Cambridge would have necessitated the selection of a new location for the bindery, a capital investment which the University "would not wish to make," the letter said.

When the bindery finally suspends operations, University libraries will have to find another place to repair its books. John W. Teele '27, Planning Coordinator, expressed the hope that some firm not connected with the university would purchase the bindery to maintain its services.

Administrative officials said they intend to keep all members of the bindery staff and their representatives fully informed of new decisions concerning the status of the bindery.