Princeton Squash Team Topples Crimson, 6 to 3

Championship Hopes Dim

The varsity squash team's hopes for its second straight Eastern and Ivy championship were rudely shattered by a very strong, well-balanced Princeton squad at Princeton yesterday. The Tigers used their great depth to hand the Crimson a decisive 6-3 setback.

Harvard clearly demonstrated its strength at the top positions, with Ben Heckscher, Larry Sears, and Charlie Hamm picking up the three Crimson wins at first, third and fourth singles. At second singles, Cal Place was unable to give a strong showing because of illness which has followed him throughout the trip.

Heckscher continued his long string of intercollegiate victories by trouncing Princeton's Ray-Evans, 12-15, 15-13, 15-8, 15-6. The Crimson captain started slowly but soon gained control of the match, never giving Evans much of a chance.

In the third singles position, Sears took one of the most decisive matches of the day as he shut out Jim Farrin, 15-7, 15-9, 15-13. Following him at fourth singles, Hamm took a long five game match from Ken Van Riper, 15-2, 9-15, 11-15, 15-11, 17-14.

At fifth and sixth singles, the varsity weakened slightly as Charlie MacVeagh dropped a 3-1 decision to Dave McMullin, and Henry Cortesi bowed in five games.

The last three positions, however, were the really decisive ones, Pete Lund, Ed Wadsworth and Hank Holmes at seventh, eighth and ninth singles all losing in three straight games. Both Lund and Wadsworth are from last year's freshman team and are not really hardened to the pressure of intercollegiate varsity play.

This defeat makes it almost certain that the varsity will be unable to repeat last year's double championship performance. Even a win over Yale on March second would probably be futile, unless a major disaster strikes Navy and Yale during the next month.