The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

The Well-Rounded Man

Among the many funds the University plans to raise is two million dollars for the HAA. Some part of this money should be allocated to increase personnel and facilities in what big business refers to as the "carry-over sports."

Any college that wishes to help its students enjoy the "Age of Leisure," to say nothing of success in business or politics, should not neglect physical education in skills of lasting value: golf, tennis, fly-casting, squash, etc. The advantages of such a program are recreational, social and eventually material.

Present instruction at Harvard is largely limited to freshmen, and is more designed as an interesting way in which to fulfill the P.T. requirement than as a help in learning the chosen sport. Coaching is often sketchy, the hours tending to be not instruction but play periods. In addition, the range of carry-over sports taught is quite small.

Upperclassmen have even less opportunity and encouragement to learn new sports. This is unfortunate, especially in an area not entirely conducive to outdoor recreation. The rather pitiful physical condition of many undergraduates might be improved if exercise could be made interesting and useful by offering classes in worthwhile sports. This exercise can be obtained in the intra-mural program, but because of lack of ability or pressure, many do not participate in this program. The availability of organized instruction would attract those who need the program most, the hesitant beginners.

The University, could not, of course, offer academic credit for these courses as do many other universities in the country. However, formal classes could be offered in various carry-over sports, as is done at Princeton and Dartmouth. Such classes would give students wishing to learn these sports an opportunity they may never have again. It would also provide an enjoyable way in which to better the often deplorable physical condition of the undergraduate.