Career Guide Published; Edition to Reach 30,000

For College Seniors

By George H. Watson

The Editors of the CRIMSON announced publication yesterday of the second annual "Guide To Career Opportunities" which will be distributed to 30,000 college seniors throughout the United States.

The 80-page magazine, containing articles by 38 business and professional leaders, will be distributed to rooms in the Houses tomorrow night. Other copies will then be available at the Student Placement Bureau, 54 Dunster Street.

This year's edition includes a section of articles on regional opportunities in the United States and in Latin America and Canada. Also in the magazine is a group of special articles, ranging from an analysis of the college graduate's earning power by Seymour Harris '20, professor of Economics, to a plea for more technological personnel by M.I.T. President James R. Killian, Jr.

The remainder of the "Guide" contains articles on various business and professional fields written by men who are leaders in them. Dr. Paul Dudley White '08 describes the medical profession; John P. Marquand '15 gives his advice to would-be writers; H. V. Kaltenborn '09 discusses careers in radio and television; and Dean Bundy advises interested students on college teaching.

In addition to professional fields, the magazine includes discussions of careers in such varied areas as consumer products, finance, steel, manufacturing, insurance, and petroleum.

The purpose of the "Guide," as described in the introduction to the magazine, is "to describe careers open to graduates confused either by the sheer number of potential occupations or by ignorance of their own capabilities."

The Editors of the magazine believe that its publication reflects the increasing difficulty of choosing a vocation.

Although the CRIMSON pioneered in the field of publishing such a magazine, other efforts were made this year by editors in New Haven and Princeton.