Varsity Swimming Team Topples Navy by Unexpected 66-20 Score

That ghostly old grandmother, Rumor, which had predicted one of the closest matches of the season when Navy met the varsity swimming team here Saturday night, proved herself as thin and misty as ever. The Crimson won 66 to 20.

In the process, Harvard and Pool marks in he 400-yard medley relay were cut eight and a half seconds. Bill Murray, bigo lalk, John Hammond, and Pete Macky cut the 4:08.5 mark set January 12 in the new event.

Perhaps more significant was the one-two victory in the 200-yard backstroke; Hammond and Murry, both sophomores, finished in that order ahead of Greer of Navy. This improvement in a varsity weak spot was clouded by the fact that Yale swimmers recorded times nearly five seconds faster over the weekend.

Varsity captain Chouteau Dyer devoted the meet to practice, first winning the 220 freestyle in 2:12.1, then the 100-yard freestyle in 51 seconds flat.

In the 50-yard freestyle, despite the absence of Dyer, the Crimson won handily. Roger Clifton barely touched out Lind to win the event in 23.9 seconds, with Navy's Beron a yard or so back.

SUMMARY:

400 Yd. Medley Relay: Harvard Time: 4:00.0 220 Yd. Freestyle: Dyer (H), Seaton (H), Ceres (N) Time: 2:12.1; 50 Yd. Freestyle: Clifton (H), Lind (H), Beron (N) Time: 23.9; 200 Yd. Butterfly: Stanley (H), Neville (N), Jaffe (H) Time: 2:36.2; Dive: Stone (H), Murner (H), Pheris (N) Points 67.85; 100 Yd. Freestyle: Dyer (H), Lind (H), Peltier (N) Time: 51.0; 440 Yd. Freestyle: Seaton (H), Martin (N), Gentz (N) Time: 5:03.7; 200 Yd. Breaststroke: Stanley (H), Falk (H), Friederich (N) Time 2:31.8; 400 Yd. Freestyle Relay: Navy Time 3:34.8