Jordan Predicts Harvard-Annex Revived Interest in Visual Arts

President Wilbur K. Jordan of Radcliffe yesterday predicted that the proposed Harvard-Radcliffe theater and visual arts center would give rise in the University community to a "renaissance in the visual arts, comparable to the renaissance of interest in music in the past few years."

Jordan spoke before Radcliffe's semi-annual student government Cedar Hill Conference at Cabot Hall. The mass meeting of the Student Council, Administration, dorm officers and heads of organizations reviews Annex facilities and activities, referring recommendations to appropriate decision-making bodies.

In pointing to the need for visual arts workshops, he stressed the importance of manual arts to people who are continually working with their minds. He suggested that such facilities would have particular value for young women.

Jordan praised the "very healthy and lively interest in the drama in Cambridge." He raised the question, however, of whether a new centralized theater might destroy the current "unorthodoxy" in drama at the University, visible in the diversity of dramatic organizations and experimental productions.

The student Study Evaluation Committee presented a questionnaire on the uses and value of reading period, to be distributed on Friday. Also on Friday, the student body will vote on perpetuating Radcliffe membership in the National Students Association, given overwhelming straw vote approval by the Cedar Hill delegates.