Law Career Conference Meets; Herter Advises Undergraduates

Christian Herter, Jr. '41, former Governor and present Assistant Secretary of State, warned prospective lawyers to avoid politics unless they were securely affiliated with some legal firm. Speaking at the Conference on "Law as a Career" he stressed the need of developing a profession before planning a political career.

Herter was one of a panel arranged by Thomas E. Crookes '49, head of Student Placement. Russell H. Peck '43, assistant dean of the Law School, moderated the panel consisting of John Rhome, partner of Hutchins & Wheeler, Boston; Wright Tisdale, Assistant General Counsel of Ford Motor Company; and Herter, partner of Bingham, Dana & Gould.

Rhome said his average day included such diverse topics as a court case, the drawing up of a will, an interview with a woman considering divorce, and estate planning. Law, he felt, was a good profession because it was a "great deal of fun" along with the "satisfaction of helping people."

As for disadvantages, Rhome mentioned the "great gamble" of risking three years and considerable money at the Law School. Many lawyers, he noted, also suffered from the "killing pace" that some firms and locations exacted.

The corporation lawyer, Wright Tisdale explained, handles problems arising between the corporation and the people with which the company deals. These groups include unions, other companies, and government agencies.