Workshops Set Up In Dunster House With Ford Money

Dunster House said yesterday that it has begun workshops in theater and the visual arts with the $1400 interest from the Ford Foundation grant.

Carroll F. Miles, Allston Burr Senior Tutor, said that he was very pleased with the "enthusiastic response" to this attempt to give the members of Dunster a chance to "create." He said that he hoped that the program could be expanded in the future into such fields as sculpture or even the manual arts so that everyone could at least have the opportunity to participate. Approximately ten per cent of the members of Dunster are now in the program.

The theater workshop, under the direction of Gaynor Bradish '52, Teaching Fellow in English, is concerned mainly with reading and discussing plays informally. They began the year with Hamlet and will progress to such authors as Ibsen and O'Neill.

Visiting Celebrities

They also try to get visiting celebrities when they are here. Yesterday, John Patrick, author of "The Teahouse of the August Moon," spoke to the group.

Constantino Nivola, Director of the Design Workshop, advises those interested in the visual arts. The group limit of 15 allows individual instruction to the members. At the present time, the emphasis is on watercolors.

Miles said that because the workshops meet only once a week, they provide a way that people with limited time can participate in creative activities. This can be particularly useful for a science major who, perhaps, cannot take as many courses outside his field as he might want to.