Visiting Scholars Say India Needs Liberal Courses

Three prominent Indian educators from Poona University, who are studying general education at Harvard for several months, agreed last night that "over-specialization" is the basic danger to their country's universities. The educators are part of a large exchange program, sponsored by the U.S. State Department.

Sadanand Kogekar, professor of History and Political Sciences at Poona's Ferguson College, explained that the emphasis of Indian education has been shifting to technical subjects and probably will continue in this direction.

He emphasized that educators "must anticipate the evils of overspecialization," and added that the purpose of his group was to study ways of introducing American-type general education to India.

"The demand for specialists will increase still further," he continued. "But unless they have a broad and liberal education, they will not be able to make decisions in the right way."

Kogekar found many similarities between Indian and American education. Schooling is primarily under provincial jurisdiction, but there are no "state universities."

He said that "everyone who can afford to, attends university," but pointed out that the provinces award a large number of scholarships to backward classes, providing them with free education through the college level.

The Indian group, living at the Faculty Club, are affiliated with Adams, Eliot, and Kirkland Houses while at Harvard. They are "looking forward to talking with students after hour exams are over."