Ford Foundation Allots $3,600,000 For Med School

Allotment Will Be Utilized For Instructional Program

The Ford Foundation yesterday announced a $3.6 million grant to the Harvard Medical School to strengthen its instruction.

The grant, part of $68,250,000 allocated to 45 private medical schools, is one of the largest ever made by the Foundation. Payment will be made to the schools about May 20 to complete a $90 million program which Ford inaugurated last September.

This may mean that the much-sought-after Medical School library will finally be realized. The existing library is greatly overcrowded, and a new library has been given top priority by School officials.

The new grants were determined by the size of student bodies, relative investments of the schools in research and teaching departments, special contributions toward advancement of the medical profession, and various other factors.

The schools must hold the grants as invested endowment for at least ten years, and the income may be spent for purposes of instruction.

When initial grants were made last September, medical schools were notified that they would receive a second stipend from the $68.2 million remaining, but had not known in what proportion this would be allocated to the various schools.

Yale's School of Medicine also received $3.6 million. The Boston University School of Medicine was granted $2 million and Tufts University School of Medicine $2 million.