The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Mrs. Roosevelt's Speech Presents Leadership Plan

Speaking before an enthusiastic M.I.T audience at Kresge Auditorium last night, Eleanor Roosevelt outlined a two-fold plan for U.S. foreign policy, as part of a program of more active leadership among the nations of the free world.

She argued for more effective American leadership in order that "we might shape the world and make it the world we want to have."

The United States, as leader of the free world, must take a more active role in formulating the policies of the United Nations, she continued. These policies must be motivated by a concern for both national interests and the problems of the small nations.

Mrs. Roosevelt declared that the United States must propose new ideas in order to achieve leadership of a sort that will be beneficial to the world.

She also emphasized the Soviet challenge in education, commenting that "the Soviet Union is not wasting human material. Neither can we."

She decried the failure of American diplomatic representatives, attributing it in large part to their ignorance of the ways and languages of the people they were visiting.

Mrs. Roosevelt stated that the recent Egyptian-Israeli squabble might have been prevented by a quicker exercise of leadership.