College Gets Large Grant For Fencing

Noted Fencer Breed Bequeathes $41,000

The late George H. Breed '98 has given a $41,000 boost to President Pusey's drive for a two million dollar athletic endowment for the College. Breed's will provided for this addition to Harvard's total endowment, to be used to maintain the sport of fencing in the College.

The first contribution from the Breed estate arrived last December, and the rest came in three installments last month. The usual five percent return will yield a yearly income of about $2000 to maintain the sport at both varsity and freshman levels. That sum is almost one-half of the yearly expenses of these teams.

Carroll F. Getchell, Business Manager of the Department of Athletics, said that the income would be used to "maintain the sport exactly as it is run at the present time. The income will help to run the sport, and no changes are planned at present," he said. Coach Edo Marion said that the gift would provide "great encouragement to the Harvard fencers and would be useful in such things as purchasing new equipment."

Although he did not fence at Harvard, Breed, by the age of 35, had become one of the greatest foil and epee men in the country. In 1911, at 35, he won the national championship in both these divisions.