JVs Win, Freshmen Lose

The JV baseball team, aided by two key double plays, staved off a late rally by Nichols Junior College and went on to a close 9-7 victory.

Steve Rhodes pitched the first six innings for the JV's, giving up five hits and six runs. Despite ten walks, Rhodes had the situation in hand until the bottom of the seventh when he hit a Nichols batter and then filled the bases on two walks.

Herb Scheiner came in at this point and allowed two runs on a hit and a sacrifice fly. With one out, third baseman Jim Shue made a fine catch on a pop-fly and tossed the ball to second to complete a double play and get Scheiner out of the jam.

Again in the bottom half of the ninth a Crimson double play erased a Nichols scoring threat. In that frame JV short stop Mouse Kasarjian committed an error on a grounder, and the batter reached first base with none out.

The next batter bounced to second baseman John Kolsti. Kolsti tossed the ball to Kajarjian, who relayed it to first baseman Frank Saia and thereby completed the twin killing. The third batter of the inning grounded out to end the game.

For the Crimson, centerfielder Doug Brown contributed two long singles to drive in two runs. Kolsti also batted in two runs on the same number of hits. In all the JV's got ten hits, all singles, and committed two errors.

Next regular game for the JV's is an away contest on Friday, against Brandeis.

Boston University's freshmen squad swamped the Yardlings, 15-4, as the defense completely broke down behind three Crimson pitchers. The freshmen committed seven errors in all