Mother Advocate Removes From Bow to South Street

By George H. Watson

Mother Advocate found a home this weekend, over on South St., directly adjoining the H.A.A.

A prancing white stallion (loaned from a local livery stable), decked in the soaring wings of Pegasus and tied to a gigantic dictionary, chomped the red apple which adorned the red ribbon which separated the eager onlookers from the entrance.

The official procession, followed by President Pusey and accompanied by various Deans of Harvard College, followed the steed into the diminutive Georgian building where the official dedication ceremonies took place.

Samuel H. Ordway, Jr. '21, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, presided over the ceremonies, thanked the President and Fellows of Harvard College who donated the property, and congratulated the various alumni who provided the structure.

Ordway presented a plaque listing those former editors who "had vision and faith to build, on land provided by the University, this home to the dignity of Harvard letters and their Mother Advocate on her ninetieth anniversary."

Former Advocate editor T.S. Eliot cabled his remarks: "Your cablegram arrived too late/ And insufficiently addressed/ So you confuse my modest muse/ Who none the less cannot refuse/ Compliance with your kind request/ To greet The Harvard Advocate.

Former Advocate editor and present editor of The Paris Review Donald Hall read another dedicatory ode.

The ceremony culminated a concentrated building drive of two years to deliver the Advocate from the lease of Benny Jacobson, local entrepreneur,

The former Advocate offices are now occupied by the Bat Club (a local organization).

The weekend ceremonies ended with the transfer of the lease to A. Whitney Ellsworth '58, President of the Undergraduate Board, who pledged maintenance of the high standards of the past and continued literary exploration.

The dedication was followed by revelry.